Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 20, 2011

First DIY Project - Trunk Makeover

I always wanted a trunk.  My mother had one that she dragged around the globe and back, and I remember her storing old costumes she and my dad had from the 60s; so fun to play dressup in!  She even had old fancy shoes and cocktail dresses she'd worn way-back-when that she also stored in that trunk.  My poor husband drove all over the foothills to find one for me; he hit every antique shop he could find, and finally found one...but it was painted a hideous brown, as you can see from the BEFORE photo.  We store art stuff in this trunk; it sure doesn't reflect it on the outside though.  I talked my husband into digging out the sander and I'm ready to start! 


















Well...I've learned a lot already in a day.  I wasn't sure if this paint was oil or water based and I googled how to tell the difference and got a tip.  Dampen a cotton ball with alcohol and rub a small area, if the paint comes off it's water based, if it doesn't then it's oil based.  Ugh!!!  Well, I first thought.."great, now what do I do with this water based black paint?"  Then I googled and saw several recommendations for a primer called Zinnser Primer for All Surfaces.  Went down to Lowes, found it and slapped a coat on it and this is what it looks like now...unfortunately it calls for a 24 hour waiting period before applying paint to the surface, though it dries in 30 mins.  So glad it does dry fast as I did this indoors and just as I tested to see if it was truly dry the rain started coming down and I had to let my dogs inside.  Luckily, it actually did dry in 30 mins.








I actually like the high gloss finish and label...that's all that goes in this trunk now...art and art supplies!  So much better looking now.

No comments:

Post a Comment